An associated business of Wakatū, Kono NZ LP is a food & beverage producer and exporter of premium wine, seafood, fruit and natural fruit bars.
Aspiring to be the world’s leading indigenous food and beverage provider, Kono has a global consumer focus, particularly in Asia where it has successfully established a wholly-owned trading entity in Shanghai.
Kono is a specialist across all aspects of its operations from farming, harvesting, processing and the marketing of seafood, wine, cider, apples, pears, kiwifruit, hops and natural fruit bars.
The company farms more than 530 hectares of land and sea and has a geographical spread of export partners across the world. Nelson based, Kono’s operations are focused in the Nelson, Tasman and Marlborough region.
Kono’s food division produces premium seafood and natural fruit bars.
- New Zealand’s Greenshell mussels and Pacific oysters are recognised among the world’s most sustainable seafoods. Kono grows, harvests and processes mussels and oysters at its Marlborough based factory and exports to the Asian and U.S markets. Its marine farm and contracting business provides harvesting, farm maintenance and specialist consultancy advice to aquaculture farmers throughout New Zealand.
- Using a unique hanging culture, Kono grow the Flat oyster – Ostrea chilensis (closely related to the French Belon). Their premium Kiwa oyster are sold in the U.S and domestic markets.
- Kono is focused on the fishing, packing and distribution of its Crayfish quota.
- Natural fruit bars (100% fruit content with no added preservatives) are produced in Marlborough under the Annies brand and distributed throughout New Zealand and offshore. A range of consumer driven innovative combinations and flavours continue to be developed.
Kono’s winemaking philosophy is to create a style of wine that encapsulates a place and time, which best reflect the sub-regions and vineyards of Marlborough and Nelson. All vineyards are certified by Sustainable Winegrowing New Zealand and all wines are CarboNZero certified.
- Multi-award winning Tohu wines are crafted from grapes grown in the Awatere Valley, Marlborough. The sub-region has a reputation for wines of minerality and elegance.
- Aronui wines are crafted from grapes grown in one of New Zealand’s most exciting boutique regions – Nelson’s Upper Moutere.
- Kono branded wine has been successfully launched into large retail chains in the U.S.
- New product under development is a locally produced Cider.
Kono’s apples, kiwifruit, pears and hops are grown in our Motueka orchards. The long sunshine hours, high light intensity and sufficient rainfall result in nutrient dense quality produce. Significant investment has been made in the growing of various IP varieties and works closely with licensed marketers.